Most people think that they have to spend above $1,000 to grab a quality mountain bike. Unknown to them, they can get the best mountain bikes under 500 dollars if they know where to look for.
Those who are still starting out on the tracks or any casual bikers need a solid model that has good quality. The bikes they use should be more adaptable so that it can run through streets, smooth trails, to rugged terrains. However, their budget may be low, and that is why we are referring this review to introduce ten top-rated mountain bikes under $500.
The quality of the mountain bike you buy determines your performance on the steep, uneven, and unpredictable terrain. That is why; you should be meticulous when you want to purchase your mountain bike so that you will get the best to suit your purpose. Here we have listed the best performance bike right now.
Top 10 Best Mountain Bikes Under 500 Dollars – Editor’s Picks
#1. GMC Topkick Dual Suspension Mountain Bike
No products found.
Just as its origin guarantees, the GMC Topkick mountain bike is beautiful, rugged, and durable to last you for a long time.
It comes with high-quality materials for a long and comfortable ride. That’s why it made our list of the top mountain bikes under 500 dollars. It’s already taken a great place on the market of 2020.
- This product features rear and front Promax disc brakes which make the bike ride well even if the trail condition is bad.
- The wheelset consists of high-flange alloy hubs with a V-shaped rim profile. Furthermore, the construction material of the wheelset comes from sturdy aluminum.
- There is also the presence of the Shimano TZ-30GS derailleur and micro shift for push shifters.
- The GMC Topkick Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike carries the floating beam design for its suspension. Moreover, it is entwined to the Zoom suspension fork that has the spring/ elastomer technology.
- It carries a 21-speed design with a sturdy aluminum frame and full suspension.
- It is quite functional and durable even at the price
- This bike can handle long-distance rides without breaking down.
- Easy to assemble with only minimal adjustments for the disc brakes.
- the check-circle The bike is attractive, solid, and performs well.
- Adjusting the bike appropriately for riding seemed to be a great challenge.
#2. Diamondback Cobra Mountain Bike
No products found.
The Cobra 20 is especially for children to enable them to grow together with their bike. It has outstanding features that will enable it to handle any abuse from inexperienced and adventurous riders.
Check out the features of one of the great mountain bikes under $500.
Also, The Diamondback is one of the most popular in the world.
- This specific bike comes with an adjustable linear pull brake with reach levers. These brakes will ensure safety for the rider and enable them to have total control during a ride.
- There is also a Shimano 6-speed drivetrain that comes with a trigger shifter. This feature is built-in to enable easy shifting and to help the kids while climbing.
- The Cobra 20 also carries a Hl Zoom 40mm fork for traveling. This fork makes short work of roots and rocks just as the bike for bigger kids.
- There is also the DB Hi-10 steel frame that is durable and sturdy to provide kids with comfort and a robust feel on the ride.
- The Cobra 20 bike is simple and easy to control
- This bike provides safety for the rider and eats up roots and rocks on the terrain.
- The customer service is wonderful
- It does not have a kickstand and a bit heavy
- The repairs seem to cost too much money when there are issues.
#3. Diamondback Sorrento Hard Tail Mountain Bike
No products found.
This model of Sorrento is a perfect mountain bike for entry-level. You can grab yours under 500. Diamondback Bicycles Sorrento Hard tail has constructed with the aluminum frame to make it durable.
There are different sizes of this model, you can browse them and select the perfect one for you. Because of the 6061-T6 heat-treated aluminum alloy frame, this is a lightweight mountain bike.
No matter if sometimes you have to carry the bike on your shoulder. It will help you when you are riding on Mountainous trails.
You can stay sure about the perfect rolling and traction with this model of mountain bike because its wheels are 27.5”. I will strongly recommend this bike if you want to ride on different types of trails.
- 27” wheels for perfect rolling on rough trails.
- Constructed with the 6061-T6 heat-treated aluminum alloy frame for highly durable and lightweight.
- The brake type of this bike is Linear pull brake, it provides the power to stop your bike instantly.
- Assembling this mountain bike is so easy. There is an instruction with the bike to assemble it perfectly.
- Suitable for mountainous trails and roads.
- The seat of this bike is not so much comfortable.
- The paddles are good in quality but not the top-notch.
#4. Merax Finiss 26″ Mountain Bike
No products found.
If you are looking for mountain bikes under 500 dollars that will allow you full control during a ride? This product is your answer. Furthermore, it can provide you with a smooth ride even on rough terrains.
It comes almost completely assembled to save you more stress and time with the appropriate instruction of how to assemble the rest. SO this bike is also lightweight.
Have you thought you will get disc brake in a low budget mountain bike? MeraxFiniss 26” has both front and rear mechanical Disc Brakes System for maximum security.
Brake levers are made of Shimano aluminum. The suspension fork is made of an advanced aluminum mechanical lock.
- This specific bike is light in weight. The material for the frame is from treated 19-inch aluminum. The MeraxFinissmountain bike can roll smoothly throughout the whole climb due to the 26 inch double walls of the aluminum rims wheel.
- It also carries the 21-speed shifters and derailleurs from Shimano for a reliable and fast shifting all day long. You are sure of absolute control of your bike’s brakes due to the rear and front mechanical disc brakes it carries.
- The 80mm travel suspension fork ensures smooth rides even on rough surfaces. It also increases the rider’s control to enable him/her to rotate the fork at full 180o before the front wheel assembling.
- This bike is fast, light in weight, and comes at a good price.
- The perfect bike that can challenge deep mud
- Made of 6061 heat-treated aluminum for durability and excellent performance.
- Disc brakes give the high security in mountainous trails and help to stop the bike instantly.
- The maximum weight capacity is 330 lbs which are rare in the best mountain bikes for 500.
- Assembling the bike is too easy for any new user.
- Disc brakes are sensitive, so you have to take care of it on a regular basis.
- Pedals’ quality is okay but not the top-notch.
#5. Gravity FSX 1.0 Dual Full Suspension Mountain Bike
No products found.
Gravity FSX 1.0 Dual Full Suspension Mountain Bike has designed with a stunning outlook. You can order yours under $400. T
here are four different colors available on this mountain bike. The colors are yellow, black, grey, and white. Gravity FSX 1.0 has constructed with a Hydroformed Aluminum frame for durability. Because of the aluminum frame, this bike is lightweight and easy to carry.
The latest disc brake technology has applied in it. Both front and rear brakes are disc brakes to give you maximum security. No matter if you are riding in the mountainous areas, you can stop your bike instantly.
If you are wishing to ride this bike on the rough trails, then don’t be tensed. Dual suspension of the bike will ensure maximum comfort.
This particular mountain bike offers premium quality and comes with an affordable 24-speed entry-level. It is amongst the bestsellers with great features that make it ride wonderfully.
- The frame of this mountain bike is durable. It comes from advanced aluminum and pivot technology to provide the rider with comfort and security. It also comes with rear and front disc brakes which are essential features for mountain climbing bikes.
- There are also Shimano shifters which the rider can shift easily during the ride. It carries a back and front-wheel suspension which you can easily adjust to your requirements.
- There are also light and strong double-wall rims that enable the bike to make short work of rough terrains. The front and back wheels of this particular mountain bike carry the quick release feature.
- It is simple to assemble
- Included both front and rear disc brakes to make sure about the security.
- Both adults are youths can use this bike
- 24-speed shifters to increase the speed of the bike instantly.
- 26-inch wheels for a long and smooth ride.
- The bike operates wonderfully given the price.
- It is not the best option for trail riding.
- The instructions for assembling are not much.
#6. Merax Falcon Full Suspension Mountain Bike
No products found.
This bike does its job efficiently and way too easy to assemble even for the elderly. It is excellent in performance and obeys every command without stressing the rider out. This bike is strong and specially built to last long for the price with a standard outlook.
- This mountain bike offers maximum control to the rider and provides a smooth run due to the dual-suspension aluminum frame design.
- It carries the 21-speed shifters and derailleurs from Shimano to provide you with easy and reliable shifting.
- The seats and handlebar are comfortable and pull brakes with the linear design provide maximum stopping power.
- This bike is the most affordable with complete features for an entry-level bike.
- This bike is durable and comes with maximum strength
- It easy to assemble for both young and old people
- The instructional manual is very detailed, and the price is also great.
- It is lightweight and rides excellently
- The manufacturer’s customer service is poor
- Some of the items seem to come defective
#7. Vilano Blackjack 29er Mountain Bike
No products found.
This mountain bike is completely updated to provide you with a versatile run. You can successfully use the Vilano Blackjack 3.0 29er at home on your path or pavement, rail trails, or roads. Furthermore, this particular mountain bike is budget-friendly with great features.
- The hydroformed alloy frame of this mountain bike is handmade for durability.
- Its 29-inch alloy wheels are double-walled and carry 29 x 2.1 tires that will enable you to challenge any obstacle on your path.
- The mechanical disc brakes provide perfect griping for maximum deceleration.
- It also comes with the brake lever/ integrated 8 speed EF-51 shifter from Shimano.
- This mountain bike comes with a suspension fork that can travel for 80mm with a lockout.
- The bike is impressive and offers a good run
- It is easy to assemble with the extensive instructional manual for guidance.
- Highly durable and indestructible
- Great customer service from the manufacturers
- The only downside to this great bike seems to be the seat which is not comfortable for a long ride.
#8. Kent Mountain Bike
No products found.
Another budget-friendly mountain bike with some exceptional features. If you have a budget under 200 for your new mountain bike, then this Kent Thruster T-29 Men’s Mountain Bike will be the best choice.
The main structure of a mountain bike is the frame of the bike.
This bike has constructed with the latest 6061 heat-treated aluminum. So this bike is a durable and lightweight bike. You can ride on the rough trails with the 29 x 2.1 inch all-terrain knobby tires.
There is a rim brake included in this mountain bike for safety ride. Its stylish outlook and the beautiful color will attract anyone. If you also are a road biker, you can consider it for a long time biking.
- 29 inch big wheels for riding in different trails without any hassle.
- Included rim brakes for the safety of the user.
- The material of the bike frame is lightweight 6061 heat-treated aluminum, so it is light in weight.
- Gear of this Kent Thruster T-29 Men’s Mountain Bike is perfect to change the speed of the bike.
- No sleep of the chain occurs in this mountain bike.
- The 170mm crankset with 28, 38, 48 tooth rings which are made of steel for the maximum durability.
- The number of speeds of this mountain bike is 21 which is quite enough for most of the users.
- Easy to assemble.
- There are no disc brakes on this mountain bike.
- Some parts of this bike are made of plastic which can be broken after a long time usage.
#9. Stowabike Dual Suspension Mountain Bike
No products found.
Are you tensed with your tight budget for the new mountain bike under $500? Let me introduce you with the great mountain bikes under 500 Dollars with 26” wheel.
I know most of the mountain bikes are high-priced and sometimes it is not possible to afford the bike. But if you are an entry level mountain bike rider, then this will be the best choice.
This bike has constructed with 26″ steel Stowabike folding frame for a strong body. As it is a folding bike, so you can store the bike in a small place.
Just follow the instruction of the manual and fold it to save some space. 26″ suspension steel fork for comfortable riding. Steel v brakes will allow you to stop the bike instantly.
- Space saver design so easy to store in a small place.
- With a low budget.
- Stowabike 26″ MTB is an 18-Speed Mountain Bike which is rare in this budget.
- Wanda 26×1.95″ tires to ride on the rough trails.
- You have to assemble only one thing; the front wheel.
- Perfect gear with good quality chain for hassle-free riding.
- Suitable for the novice and entry-level riders.
- There are no disc brakes on this bike.
#10. Mongoose TYAX Comp Men’s Mountain Bike
No products found.
The Mongoose TYAX men’s mountain bike is a high-quality bike that is specially designed for average riding. It is a good bike that will guarantee you a smooth run. This mountain bike is durable and operates greatly for the price.
- The Mongoose TYAX Comp Men’s Mountain Bike is constructed with high-end, premium quality material for top performance and durability. Also, the drivetrain is excellent and provides you with a good comfortable feeling as you ride.
- It comes with good mechanical disc brakes that provide decent deceleration throughout the whole ride.
- The frame is on the heavy side but indestructible for hitting hard on the trails. It carries premium quality crank and fork that performs excellently. This would be the best hardtail mountain bike under 500 for the expert biker.
- It comes properly assembled and tuned out from its package.
- A very good entry-level mountain bike for its price
- Immediately this bike is assembled, it is ready to roll
- The seat is a bit tough for comfort while riding
- It is a heavyweight bike for women to handle
Best Mountain Bikes Under $500 Quick Buyers’ Guide
- Style – There are almost five different mountain bike styles that vary depending on their purpose. Some are for casual descents and climbs on smooth terrains while some are all-around purposes. Therefore, choose the bike style that will suit your purpose.
- Budget – The first thing you should consider is your budget. It is vital since your budget will help you to consider the options which are available to you.
- Suspension – Mountain bikes have three different types of suspension which are, The hard-tail which has its suspension fork at the front wheel.The full suspension which has both front and back wheel suspension. A rigid suspension that has no suspension at all.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Top Rated Mountain Bikes Under $500
Before ordering a bike, you should do a little bit of homework about them. What features and facilities need to be checked? Read this section to make yourself an expert about mountain bikes.
The Bike Features
The features of a mountain bike are important since they are what makes them function. Such features as, the saddle, brakes, gear or shifts, and wheels.
The Bike’s Frame Material
Good quality frame materials will give you a comfortable and robust feel. However, high-quality frame bikes are more expensive and durable. The bikes with cheaper frame material are a bit low on quality.
The best bike frame material is an aluminum alloy which makes the bike durable and light in weight. Although Steel material is sturdy and cheap, they are too heavy for mountain riding. On the other hand, carbon and titanium fiber materials lightweight, strong but they are greatly expensive. That is why aluminum alloy is your best option for bike material.
Another important thing you should look out for when buying a mountain bike is the size of the wheel. Mountain bikes have three different wheel sizes which are 29 inches, 27.5 inches, and 26 inches respectively.
The 26-inch size is suitable for beginners or casual riders, the 27.5 inch represents a middle ground, while the 29-inch wheel size appropriately suits fast racers. Whichever one you may choose, make sure it is the one that will provide you with flexibility and additional comfort while.
Brake and Gear
What is the most important part of a mountain bike? Yeah, the brake. The most popular brakes are v-brakes and disc brakes. Disc brakes are expensive but efficient at work. This is the latest technology.
V Brakes are inexpensive but do not work as the disc brake. Depending on the budget, you can go for both types of brakes. You should take it carefully because it controls the whole bike.
These factors are important things you should consider carefully before buying a mountain bike. That is if you want to get the best mountain bike under 500 dollars.
Through this review, you are now aware that you can get great looking best mountain bikes under 500 dollars. All you have to do is to go through these options and choose the one that appropriately suits your needs.
After all things, you should choose perfect accessories such as heal meat, socks for boots, Cycling boots.